Sustainable Renovation and Extension Design of a Block of Flats
We obtained planning consent for four additional units to be added to the roof of this existing post-war block in Greenwich, East London. The scheme also included the refurbishment of the whole block, upgrading thermal elements with external insulation and render. Improved access with a lift to all floors is also included.
The client, The William Pears Group, wanted an architects practice with the following attributes:
- Experience of working with the local planners and gaining planning approvals
- Knowledge of the constraints of the local area and specific site experience
The solution involved refacing the entire building, enclosing corridors and walkways to create additional usable living space and improving the living xonditions for both existing and new tenants.
The design re-instated the fabric of the building, giving it a new lease of life while being sympathetic to the historic nature of the area.
By appointing Granit Architects the client was able to achieve planning permission for a development that:
- Increased rental yields from the property
- Added four extra residential units
- Upgraded the life of the property by providing for disabled access and upgrading the amenity space with a roof top garden.